Saturday 28 April 2012

Sari shopping: a non shopper's paradise


I went Sari shopping and I liked it. I never thought I'd be writing those words, but it's true. A Sri Lankan friend is getting married in September. But first there is an engagement to celebrate in a couple of weeks time. And it seems that only a sari will do. Those of you who know me, even just a little, will be aware that I am not really a shopper. However, the experience was far from stressful and, dare I say, even quite fun.


I have long dreamt of a world where shopping was simplified by establishments dedicated to a specific item of clothing. It has always been a source of irritation (and occasional rage) that when I need to buy trousers, I have to traipse from one place to another, rummaging around in various corners of a shop to find a couple of pairs of completely unsuitable and unflattering pantaloons. Why oh why is this so? In my dream world, I would simply pop along to Trouser World and be spoilt for choice. And when I need some football shorts, I would head for Not Too Short Sports Shorts For Women Shorts Shack. And when I need some tops for work.....well, you get the picture. Back to the sari shopping. 




The good news is that when it comes to saris, my dreams can be realised. And so, off we went to Pettah where just such a one stop shop exists. In fact many exist, but we only had to go to ONE! Great!



Smiley sari magician
And so we entered a world where colourful material is piled floor to ceiling for as far as the eye can see; attentive shop assistants do not simply follow and stare, but actually assist you (whilst staring a little it must be said). But most importantly, one size fits all. Not only does this mean no sweaty changing rooms with distorted funfair mirrors, it also narrows down the process of decision making to “do I like this colour?” and “does it suit me?”. And to support you in deciding, there is a helpful smiley man who is only to happy to show off his expertise by folding, wrapping, smoothing, gathering and twisting your chosen material around your body until....TADAAAA...it's a sari!









Remarkably, the first material I selected was declared by all to be a very good colour for me. And so all that was needed then was the obligatory underskirt (this was just handed to me, no need to make further decisions) and the sari top (this does need to be made to measure and did involve accompanying a very serious woman with a tape measure into a sweaty changing room. However, on the whole it was relatively pain free).



And so, I am now the proud owner of my very own sari and look forward to a very special occasion on a most auspicious of days. All I need now are some glitzy shoes and blinging jewellery and I'm set. Don't panic, there will be photos, but you'll have to wait.

Are you being served?


2 comments:

  1. Love it! Can't wait for the photos. Tonight, Matthew, I'm going to be: a Bollywood star. Xxx Tubster

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jelly Belly Jelly Belly. Never will that irritatingly catchy song have been so apt! x

      Delete