Monday 14 January 2013

One year: Part one

1 year ago today

I spend the day high on adrenaline and sick with nervous excitement as I spin in chaotic circles around my room, packing, weighing, emptying and repacking my belongings ahead of the big trip. At regular intervals I find myself standing stock still, wide-eyed and delirious, gazing stupidly at my feet. As the contents of my case dwindles to meet the airline's criteria, the tension in my jaw and shoulders grows. Phone calls are received only to ensure that visitors understand that they are NOT welcome. I am far too busy swinging wildly between utter hysteria and a disconcerting calm to concentrate on being sociable or civil. And anyway, I've said my goodbyes and have the company of Boo and Chewy, my two favourite poodles, to listen to my nonsensical chit chat and join me in any last minute squeaks of terror (mainly me and Boo. Chewy is far too cool for such silliness!). Eventually, once the case is shut and Boo and I are all squeaked out (for now), I take myself to bed for one last sleepless night of nightmarish imaginings of the sweaty misery that undoubtedly lies ahead. 


Today

Today I wake to find myself shivering. An unusual sensation these days. But I tell no lie. December is typically the most pleasant month of the year weatherwise. Add to that a whole lot of mistimed and confused monsoon rains this year and it's not so hot. Don't get me wrong, it's still close to 30 degrees, but the humidity is actually bearable, not so nightmarish after all! 

Today is a national holiday on account of Thai Pongal, a Hindu thanksgiving and harvest festival to worship the sun god. However, I am due at work and need to get going. So, I jump out of bed, happy to see the sun shining and ready to give thanks for the harvest in my own special way, my usual breakfast of a fresh papaya and banana smoothie, followed by homemade muesli with curd and kithul honey. Having showered and dressed, I inadvertently electrocute myself with the tennis racket shaped mosquito swatter whilst trying to kill the little blighter that has just bitten me. The charge is surprisingly strong, but, no harm done, I feel a little more alert and, as the day progresses, I'm sure I am being more productive as a result. Having pretty much single-handedly (well, not quite) planned and organised an entire (well, sort of) national Occupational Therapy conference scheduled for March (HELP! It's not enough TIME!!!!!!!!!!!) I return home. My pool is shut today, so I can't swim. Instead I turn my attention to my next blog post, pour myself a well earned G&T and start typing.

to be continued (maybe...)



1 comment:

  1. Brings back lovely memories...of wonderful fruit & curd breakfasts. BUT how, oh how did you give yourself a shock with the racket thingy? Love you Marmee

    ReplyDelete