Tuesday 15 January 2013

One year: Part two

A year ago today

After 9 months of planning and preparing for a momentous change, and comparing strangely parallel experiences at length with a good friend, this morning I learn that she has gone into labour overnight. Today is a big day for us both as we begin our final journey towards a new life. She will later claim it was more painful for her, but it's probably a close call as this morning I must bid my beloved Boo (the poodle) farewell; it's the only goodbye that pushes me precariously close to uncontrollable sobbing and one which will, tomorrow, be cause for regretful remembering as I wonder, itching and fidgeting under my mosquito net, whether she gave me a surprise parting gift during her excitable licky-faced send off! Nevertheless, I hold it together to see my way through a final goodbye at Pool Valley station in Brighton where close friends turn up unexpectedly to throw nuts at me (snacks for the journey) and push me onto the coach. I am finally on my way, and allow myself a moment to consider that it might actually be a good idea after all, this big adventure I have embarked on. At Heathrow, I meet, for the first time, my travel companion and fellow volunteer, soon to be known as Jaffna Jo. I manage to play it cool for approximately 5 minutes before nervously quizzing her about the contents of her suitcase. I'm pretty sure I see her breathe a sigh of relief as she realises we are sat at least 10 rows apart on the plane for our first flight. And so, we are off. At Dubai, just before our second flight, I receive a final word from my labouring friend who indicates it won't be too long now. As the cabin prepares for take off on route to our final destination, back in the UK baby Kaitlin is making her last preparations for her big entrance into the world. Life as we know it will never be the same again!


Today

This morning, I am not shivering as I wake up. I had the good sense to put the fan on its lowest setting last night, wore my long pyjamas to bed and wrapped myself securely in my sheet. Even so, the thought of a thin summer duvet does not seem completely ridiculous. I contemplate pressing snooze for a third time but decide against it remembering my 9am meeting. I must get myself to the hospital and so, for the 365th consecutive day (give or take a few night's away from Sri Lanka), I scramble out from under my mosquito net to begin the day. Today, I am determined to avoid any unnecessary shocks and decide to leave the mosquitoes to their own devices. I'm feeling pretty upbeat. Look at me, living in Sri Lanka, for a whole year! Life is pretty good. I am sooo flexible and adaptable. However, within 30 minutes of leaving the house I am pacing, swearing and sweating at the bus stand. Where is the 150 bus? Why has it not come? A small bearded man stops to make random chat, smiling enthusiastically whilst asking and answering his own question "how are you I'm fine!". He doesn't seem to notice my grumpiness and wanders off, apparently happy despite the one-sided conversation. After one hour of waiting and several phone conversations with colleagues at the hospital (they reassure me the 150 is not on strike today) my head is about to implode and I finally admit that my flexibility and adaptability have their limits. Thankfully, at that very moment, I hear a shout from across the road and see my fellow volunteer and good friend, from now on known as Swivel Hips Joao, doing a little dance for me. As well as making a spectacle of himself, and scaring a passing stray dog, he is also reminding me that Tuesday night is Bollywood night, the evening when we both get a step closer to realising our Bollywood dreams. Until then, I decide it's time to retreat to the VSO office and instead work from there for the day. Whilst on route, I calculate that I can attend 9 more classes before leaving Sri Lanka. More than enough time to perfect the steps. As long as I avoid looking at myself in the mirror during the class, anything is possible. And if Bollywood wont have me, I'm pretty sure Brighton will welcome me home and appreciate my new dancefloor prowess...maybe. Life as you know it will never be the same again!

To be continued (...maybe)

1 comment:

  1. Can I have the 'to be continued' bit now? Your blogs are better than books!!!
    Skype sometime? Not on Fridays as working in Waitrose.

    Totty (according to you)but really Totti xx

    ReplyDelete