Monday 6 February 2012

Tourist kenek nemei


“Tourist kenek nemei, resident kenek” (I am not a tourist, I'm a resident) is one of the handy phrases I have learnt since my arrival in Sri Lanka. It is particularly useful when trying to negotiate a reasonable price for the occasional journey in a tuktuk (It is not always possible to take the bus everywhere, despite my fondness for them). If I am to live within the means of my VSO allowance, this bit of Sinhala should go some way to helping me. However, I must admit to feeling a bit of a fraud when using it to book myself into a guest house in Unawatuna, a couple of hours south from Colombo on the coast. This picturesque little sandy curved cove provided me with my first proper taste of a Sri Lankan beach when I decided to take a small break from the city. After one night in Unawatuna, a breakfast of fresh papaya and pineapple, and a morning dip in the ocean, I moved on (via bus) for a second night away in the quiet and sleepy Dutch city of Galle, the perfect antidote to Colombo. I cannot deny that I have been behaving very much like a tourist this weekend, strolling around the streets armed with my camera and rough guide. Of course, it would be foolish not to be making the most of the opportunities to explore and relax whilst I can, and I have had a great time doing so. So, rather than feeling sheepish, I will share my tourist highlights of the week so far below.
  1. Fruit bats in their thousands hanging from the trees in broad daylight in Viharamahadevi Park, Colombo.
  2. Cheeky monkeys clambering across rooftops and swinging through the trees next to my guest house in Unawatuna.
  3. The stomach churning antics of the dare devil Galle fort cliff divers.
  4. The first rain since my arrival, welcome and refreshing whilst I sat in the lovely courtyard garden of my Galle guesthouse.
  5. A cold Lion beer on the veranda bar of the Galle Fort Hotel.
And so here I am back in Colombo, refreshed and eager to prove what a hard working resident I am....but thwarted by a public holiday tomorrow. I'm very much looking forward to experiencing the Poya Perahera (full moon festivities) which will involve elephants parading through the streets of the city. And then I'll get back to work!

4 comments:

  1. Wow! the photos are spectacular.Loved the guest house courtyard. The rich colours of everything brightened this grey Shropshire day. Enjoy the holiday and the elephants without guilt. Work can wait.Much love Marmee x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like the pics, I think you'd like Galle, lots of love xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. great wildlife photography .. and buses! do the buses have mottos? - i've got a photo of one in south india that reads 'your girl is your pearl'! I think theo and jonah would appreciate your photos - can i put in a request for an elephant please! (a photo ... not an actual elephant) Anna x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't noticed any classic mottos on the buses, but the trishaws/tuktuks have some great ones. I'm sure that will make a good blog topic. As for the elephants. Don't worry, there are plenty (i.e. a ridiculous amount!) of these to come.

    ReplyDelete