Thursday 21 March 2013

Life after Sri Lanka

This may be my briefest blog post yet in view of the fact that I'm in Australia and therefore far to busy looking out for koalas, supping fine wine and chain eating Timtams to write anything much. However, I can share with you some important things I have learnt during my time away. I now have some idea of how life might be for me...after Sri Lanka. Perhaps you should be forewarned (UK readers) about how it could affect you!

  1. I start at least every other sentence with the words "Well, in Sri Lanka....." or "Do you know how long it's been (currently always 14 months) since I did/saw/had/ate this......?"
  2. My bladder has shrunk! Intense and constant sweating leaves the bladder with very little in the way of hard work to do, however many gallons of water you drink. 14 months of laziness has allowed mine to shrink to the size of a palm squirrel's. The good news for you is that I can barely finish a sentence (including those above) before I need to head off in search of the nearest facilities.
  3. My skin does not naturally glow! It turns out living in 90%+ humidity for much of the year does wonders for the complexion. However, it does not last! I have quickly returned to my ageing, pale and pallid usual self (the unseasonably cold Melbourne weather has not helped!). 
  4. Sri Lanka feels a long long way away. I have quickly grown sickeningly nostalgic and find myself wondering if it was all a dream. As a result, I start at least every other sentence with the words "Well, in Sri Lanka...."
Ah...sorry, I think I might be repeating myself. Well, get used to it people...in Sri Lanka, people were fascinated by this strange foreigner and I will expect your full attention at all times!

However, what I promise not to do is force you to sit down and watch an hour long documentary about the VSO mental health programme I took part in. However, my aunt and uncle were not so lucky. We had a living room screening just the other night!

In actual fact, I think those involved in making it did a pretty good job and, if you want to know more about the 15 year programme I played a very small part in, it makes interesting viewing.  I do feature briefly, sometime around 11 minutes in or so. So, if nothing else, you may wish to take this opportunity to see my beautifully youthful and glowing skin one more time before I return home looking 10 years older.

You can click here to do just that.

1 comment:

  1. Honest Beth, we really did have a record number of days of 30 deg+ temperature before you arrived. Actually there is no such thing as unseasonably cold (or hot) weather in Melbourne. It is commonly known that we have 4 seasons in 1 day - and you can now attest to it, right?

    ReplyDelete