Monday 9 July 2012

The perfect antidote

P1040751P1040767P1040768P1040772P1040764P1040765
P1040773P1040792P1040797P1040798P1040799P1040803
P1040807P1040813P1040814P1040819P1040820P1040824
The perfect antidote, a set on Flickr.
If you've been following my blog of late, you'll know that I've not been in tip top condition. I've been suffering, it would seem, from a mild but definite case of culture shock. Thanks to those of you who sent messages of concern, support or gentle mocking. You know who you are! I really do appreciate it. Since offloading my woes in an attention seeking blog style, I have definitely felt a little lighter. However, the tell tale signs remain, bubbling just below the surface. Something more had to be done. And so this week, I have turned my attention to seeking the perfect antidote. Something of the familiar, a little bit of comfort and calm, to neutralise the badness and provide relief. Over the course of the week I have worked my way through a large cheesy pizza, past a dirty burger (don't ask) some fries and coleslaw, on the way to a pile of rich chocolate brownies and ice cream (twice). I have given myself a slight chill in an aggressively air conditioned cinema and suffered the beginnings of a migraine whilst attempting to follow the plot of the Avengers (and care) from behind some defect 3D glasses. I have even started making my own hummus! And believe it or not, I feel a little bit better for it. However, the perfect antidote turned out to be a couple of hours watching the sun set over the ocean at Galle Face Green with a friend. This big open space right on the seafront in Colombo is where huge numbers of locals go, particularly in the early evening, to stroll, hang out, fly kites and play cricket in the breaking waves. We simply sat on a wall overlooking the ocean, dangling our tired flip flopped feet down towards the sand, breathing in the salty sea air and slowly letting the tension drain from our shoulders. And it was good. I hope you like the photos.

4 comments:

  1. LOVE the photos! Glad it helped ease the tension Beth. Off to see family this week but back w/c 16 July so will look out for you on Skype that week! (2pm-5pm my time)? xx
    Totts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes. Dirty burgers. That is the answer to your problems I too am on skype night and day these days but you're never on line. Too busy dangling your flip flops and taking snaps and draining your tense shoulders. Hope to catch you soon I hope. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too anonymous commenter. Let me know who you are, and perhaps I'll try to be on at the same time as you....or stay hidden when I see you pop up! xx

      Delete